Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Conversations with Kendall

Kendall has been especially fun during this Christmas season. It's really neat to watch her learn things, even though I'm not quite sure she understands it all yet. She has especially enjoyed the Christmas trees in our house and knows which ornaments are okay for her to play with/touch. One ornament in particular is a Baby's First Christmas ornament that is a plush yellow duck with wooden wheels, hanging by a ribbon. It's a Hallmark ornament, so you can probably guess who gave it to us, right???!!!?

I remember buying it, too. It was the day before I delivered Kendall. Mom flew to Louisville on her birthday and stayed with us until about a week after Kendall was born. I delivered Kendall on a Tuesday, and the Monday before, Mom and I got out and about. It was the first cooler day after many, many 90 degree days (in October) and it was raining. We went to a children's boutique to buy a coming home outfit (which was WAY too big) and stopped at a Hallmark store before grocery shopping at Kroger. It's all so vivid in my mind.

This past Sunday, Kendall was looking at the Christmas tree and pointed to her ornament hanging there. She said, "That's mine." I said, "Yes, that is yours. Your MawMaw gave that to you." Kendall then looks at me and asks, "Where's MawMaw?" (I know she has no idea who "MawMaw" really is, but I know she knows from her picture, because we have one hanging on our fridge that we talk about frequently.) I replied with, "MawMaw is in Heaven with Jesus." She repeated me, then was completely satisfied.

About an hour later, I was in the kitchen unloading and loading the dishwasher while Kendall and Evan were playing and talking in the dining room. Kendall out of the blue looks at Evan and says, "Where's MawMaw?" Evan looked at me, and before either of us could say anything, Kendall said, "In Heaven with Jesus?" So sweet.

The conversation hasn't stopped. Today we were out running a few errands, and Kendall kept saying, "MawMaw is in Heaven with Jesus." Each time she said it, I would confirm the answer. Then she breaks out, "I want to see her." All I could say was, "I do too. Someday, we'll get to see her in heaven, but for now all we have are pictures of her so we must enjoy and cherish those!"

Bittersweet times with my precious little one!

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh Leah what a sweet post!!!! I know you will share so many stories about Mawmaw with Kendall!!! She may not remember her physically, but she will have so many memories and things to cherish of her.

Grace, Hope and Joy said...

so precious.