Saturday, October 4, 2008

How You Live

I really wanted to add this to the last post, but I'm having terrible issues embedding this video to Blogger. I'm not patient enough to figure it out/make it work, so I'm just going to add a link.

Heather Payne, a member of the Christian group Point of Grace, is a member at our church. The week we were without electricity, she sang How You Live at the outside service. I was choking back tears the entire time. (And every time I've heard it since then.) Heather has an amazing voice, but the words of the song are even better. You know how sometimes you just hear a song that totally says what your heart feels? As I listened to her sing this song, I thought two things... one being "this is my mom" and the other being "this is who I want to be."

Wake up to the sunlight
With your windows open
Don't hold in your anger or leave things unspoken
Wear your red dress
Use your good dishes
Make a big mess and make lots of wishes
Have what you want
But want what you have
And don't spend your life lookin' back

So go to the ballgames
And go to the ballet
And go see your folks more than just on the holidays
Kiss all your children
Dance with your wife
Tell your husband you love him every night
Don't run from the truth
'Cause you can't get away
Just face it and you'll be okay

So give to the needy
And pray for the grieving
E'en when you don't think that you can
'Cause all that you do is bound to come back to you
So think of your fellow man
Make peace with God and make peace with yourself
'Cause in the end there's nobody else

Turn up the music
Turn it up loud
Take a few chances
Let it all out
'Cause you won't regret it
Lookin' back from where you have been
'Cause it's not who you knew
And it's not what you did
It's how you live
Here are two links to watch the video. It's well worth five minutes. (At least let the song play while you do something else!) Go here to see it on YouTube or here to see it on imeem. (Which ever works for your computer better!) Oh, and those sweet little blonde kids that you see with Heather? Her precious, precious children.




3 comments:

BarbaraInMemphis said...

All I can saw is WOW. What a beautiul song with a beautiful sentiment. Wouldn't the world be a better place for us all if we lived by these "simple" lyrics?

Anonymous said...

Leah, I am so sorry about the loss of your mother..OMG..that song is amazing...Of course I cried...I am a fellow Pher..did not know your Mom but sad to hear of her loss..

May God give you all the strength you need to get through this..I know it will be hard..You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs,
Jen

Grace, Hope and Joy said...

I LOVE this song too. I have never met your Momma (one day I will in Heaven though!!) but I can tell from what I have heard of her that this fits her well.

I hope the house is coming along well. We are heading home tomorrow. It is always crazy with the three girls without Danny for more than one day but we have had a good time nonetheless. Let me know what I can do to help this week. If you don't find someone cheap to clean your new place I can come over and help one night. You can't tell from my house but I can deep clean well when I want to. ;) As far as I know I am free Thur night.