Sunday, August 31, 2008

More Pictures

I'm so thankful for pictures. I have looked through the same stack of pictures a thousand times since my mom got so sick in June. Pictures have a way of helping you remember and notice things you otherwise might not. I know this one is not of my mom, but I couldn't help but notice that my sister has on a church dress and is riding a three-wheeler with my dad. What mom would let their child do such a thing?!?!?! :)
This picture was taken the same day as the other one...my first birthday. I loved that my sister has on my mom's shoes in this picture. (Well, I'm assuming they are my moms. They aren't my Mammaw's!) I can just see my mom taking her shoes off and letting Kara tramps around the yard!
My mom LOVED the water and sun! My memories of summer were of us in the pool, all day, everyday. Either my mom or dad won this raft from somewhere, and it was not a good raft to lay on because it was so flat, so we used it as a surf board. My mom would stand there and help us get our balance, then we would compete to see how long we could stay on the board. This was a "pool favorite" and I'm pretty sure the raft (that was made from styrofoam) was in shreds by the time we threw it away.
I'm not sure what year this was, or how much snow we got, but I was probably in second grade. My mom went to Dallas for a meeting and got stuck there for several extra days because of all the snow. I'm sure my dad could tell the whole story, but I think he ended up having to wire money out to my mom because she didn't take any extra cash or credit cards with her. I think she learned her lesson about traveling unprepared!This picture is from when my mom broke her ankle. I was in third grade and mom made big plans for everyday of our spring break. (Funny now that I don't remember what we were supposed to do the rest of the week!) On the Tuesday of that week, she took us roller skating with several other people. She and Marcia Freemyer were standing against the back wall of the skating rink talking, and mom's feet just rolled out from underneath her. Mrs. Marcia ended up having to help carry my mom to the car, then drive her to the doctor's office. Mom ended up having to have two steel plates and six screws put in her ankle from that incident. She wore a cast for what seemed like forever! Ironically, when mom fell and broke her elbow at the end of May, Mrs. Marcia ended up being the one the the clinic to help take care of my mom, just like she did all those years ago when Mom broke her ankle. Mrs. Marcia was a sweet, sweet friend...

I'm sure there will be more pictures to come!

3 comments:

Kara said...

I think we all had the same swing set!

Jesse and Laura Pounders said...

Love these pics! I remember coming swimming at your house every summer, and I remember how much Aunt Jan loved the pool! I think she stayed out there more than the kids most of the time. I also remember when she was in that cast from breaking her ankle, and it did seem like she had that on forever! I remember her trying to scratch inside of it!

C.S. Moore said...

Glad you're posting things on here. I've checked a couple of times and didn't find anything new, so I haven't checked in a while.

I assume the aunt you mentioned is your mom's sister. If she'd like to communicate with me, please give her my email address. When I lost my brother, it was the hardest thing I've ever gone through. So, I can certainly understand how difficult it is to lose a sibling.

Please let us know what we can do to help Roger. He told me about your mom being the "study" at a medical conference. Even in death, she continues to help others.

Sue