Thursday, June 19, 2008

First Post

Well, I guess I'm the designated PR person for the family! My dad has had so many phone calls, he can't answer all of them, so he is handing out my email so I can keep folks up-to-date with what is going on with my mom.

I'm glad to keep everyone informed on our situation but decided that rather than having write the same message over and over again in email, I could set up a website, write it all here once, and then you guys could come and check whenever it's convenient.

For those of you who don't know my mom's story, I'll give you the short version...

She was diagnosed with PPH about four years ago, all beginning with a battle of bronchitis that turned in to pneumonia. (The disease is also linked with the drug fen-phen, but this is not my mom's case. Her doctors believe that it's genetic.) Mom has gone through several different drug treatments in the last few years, the latest being a mainline pump that she had inserted in November 2006.

Last Monday, mom was given the news that her "pump" medicine isn't working anymore, and the next step is a heart AND double lung transplant. She has been in CCU at Baptist Hospital in Little Rock for about 10 days and in the air on her way to Vanderbilt as we speak.

Our family is hopeful, but we also know that the final outcome is in God's hands. We serve a BIG God who is bigger than disease, bigger than medical expenses, and bigger than life itself. God works all things together for good (Romans 8:28) and will get the honor and glory from this, no matter the outcome.

The verse at the top of this web page, James 1:2-4 says "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." This is my mom. She has chosen joy in her circumstances, not just now, but from the very beginning of her diagnosis. I remember being on the phone with her after she was diagnosed the summer of 2004 and her words were, "I can't let this bring me down. God has a purpose for my suffering and I'm going to use it for Him." I won't say that my mom has always been happy about being sick or that she's never prayed for God to take this terrible disease away, but even in the midst of her suffering, she has been an encouragement to others.

I will update as much as I can...anytime there is new news to share. You might want to save this website in your favorites, because I probably won't send out an email when I post. Please comment anytime! We will make sure my mom hears your kind thoughts and words. Please keep my family in your prayers! This is a journey...one that will end up victorious one way or another!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Janice, please know that you are in my heart and prayers. Leah is right, we serve a God that is bigger than this.

Love,
LaRose

BarbaraInMemphis said...

My thoughts & prayers are with you, my dear PHriend, for a speedy recovery.

Carrie J. Yager said...

Love you. Praying. I know it's the hardest thing ever watching someone you love suffer. If there is ANYTHING Scott or I can EVER do, let us know. We love you and are praying you through this.

Unknown said...

We are praying for all of you daily to have the peace that passes all understanding in the midst of this trial and that the medical teams will give the very best care and have great wisdom in what they do.

Love,
Sheila

Anonymous said...

Janice, everyone at First Baptist Marianna is praying for you. I know you have never asked why and believe whatever you are going through is for a reason. What a wonderful attitude. And I know that all comes from the Lord. You know your situation is so similar to my beloved brother's in 2001. He was, like you, so talented and using it for the Lord. So as the told song says "We'll Understand It Better By and By" is so true.

Again, we love you and we are so thankful to have this site to keep updated.

JUST KNOW THAT MANY, MANY PRAYERS ARE GOING UP FOR YOU.

Sue Moore

Adam Holly Grace said...

Just wanted to let you know that we are praying for you and your family! What a testimony of your faith!! (My husband and I are friends with Leah and Evan from Louisville).

Sincerely,
Holly Brown

MarciaB said...

Janice, I pray that your doctors will do thier utmost to get you better. I hear such good things about Flo. Maybe she will be your miracle. MarciaB

Ann Pond said...

Dear Janice:

I so glad that you are home, I have been praying for you, All of your Stuttgart Group is doing the same.

Love ya
Ann Pond